This is an idea inspired by Michael Crichton’s novel, Airframe.
It involves the characters playing a team of air-crash investigators, who find something strange during their investigations. It would be best suited to a modern or near future setting, although it could work in space opera as well… Even Fantasy, in a setting that features air-travel.
For a system, I would use on that focuses on investigation, Gumshoe would be ideal, although really any system could work.
The are several ways to make the investigations more interesting, or perhaps use them to lead into a deeper story.
In a campaign focusing on air-crash investigators, you could start of with a “simple” crash, with no strange elements, but there are several ways you can take this.
- A body of somebody not on the passenger manifest is found on the crash site
- Several crashes have something in common, perhaps they all have a passenger with the same name, or happen at the same time of the day.
- The crashes are due to a manufacturing defect in the plane model, and the company is trying to cover it up.
- A crash is actually somebody’s attempt at covering up a murder
- A plane crashes, but there are no records of it anywhere, no flight log, and none of the passengers seem to have any records, and the markings are in an unknown language… Where did it come from?